Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Express Love Openly

The Communicating Marriage, by Gary Smalley

Like an apple tree among the tress of the forest is my lover among the young men.  
I delight to sit in his shade, and his fruit is sweet to my taste.  
He has taken me to the banquet hall, and his banner over me is love.  Songs of Songs 2:3-4

Does the following sound familiar?

We stood in the snow for hours, just talking.  
After dinner, I meant to say good night quickly, but instead we have a two-hour conversation in front of her dorm.  
We talked about everything and how we needed to get out of the snow, but neither of us wanted to date to end.  
When we kissed good night, I couldn't wait to get to my room so that I could call her and tell her what a wonderful time I had.

How about this?

By the time I get home, all i wanted to do is to sit in front of the TV or computer and relax. 
After spending my whole day with people, I don't have energy to listen or talk.  
I know I should talk with my wife, but I figure we can catch up this weekend.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Marriages begin with a man and a woman who are enthralled with one another. When a man and a woman are dating, they long to be with their beloved and just talk to one another.  They love to simply say (and hear), "I love spending time with you."

Yet many marriages die a slow death because of a lack of communication.  Couples may still talk about projects or kids or jobs, but they often stop communicating their their love and desire for each other.

As Christians, we believe that it is important to spend time with God everyday.  Most of us realize that if we skip our daily time with the Lord or give Him a quick five minutes, our spiritual lives will be adversely affected.  The same is true of marriage.  Couples need to find time each day to communicate.

Although a lack of communication may kill a marriage, regular and consistent communication will bring it to life.  Love must not be assumed or taken for granted.  Love must be spoken.

Do you want to rediscover the amazing person you married? Do you want a marriage that not only survives but also thrives?  To accomplish this goal, you and your spouse must do what you did when your relationship started: talk to each other.




No comments:

My favourite blogs